Saturday took The BCPF to my happy place, Underdog Records. This week’s haul is short but just being there is enough to make me giddy. Thank you, Jonathan, for making it a great visit every time. Okay, so I’m a day behind because of the holiday yesterday so let’s get to it!
- Sufjan Stevens – Illinois — The BCPF introduced me to Sufjan when we were just friends. She put “Casimir Pulaski Day” on a mix CD for me. I like that song. Sufjan is an odd bird, quirky, kooky and very talented. This is a concept album all about Illinois-ish. Great album. New.
- Yo La Tengo – Stuff Like That There — From the Matador Records website: “On this album, the band revisits the original concept of their 1990 album Fakebook with a mix of cover songs, “covers” of Yo La Tengo songs and brand new originals.” Another that I was introduced to before The BCPF and I dated. New.
- Band Of Horses – Everything All The Time — I know I say this every time I post a new-to-us Band of Horses album. They’re so wispy and airy. Another favorite of The BCPF and yet another that I got to know before we dated. I see a pattern that I didn’t know about on Saturday. Hmmm… VG++/EX
- Art Tatum – More Of The Greatest Piano Of Them All — Art Tatum was a popular jazz pianist that has been dead more years that I have been alive. But, I love jazz piano so we’ll love this, I’m sure. VG/VG+.
- Deodato – Prelude — Deodato is more than a composer and performer, he’s an arranger and producer, too. This album contains his pop-inspired cover of Richard Strauss’ “Also Sprach Zarathustra” which we all know as the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey. But, did you know that his daughter is married to Stephen Baldwin and his granddaughter is married to Justin Bieber? You do now. Really, I bought this album because I got tired of seeing it at Underdog Records. I enjoyed the listen, so I’m glad I got it! VG+.
- The Northern Pikes – Big Blue Sky — The only thing I’d ever heard from The Northern Pikes was their song “She Ain’t Pretty.” I loved the song and the video. That song isn’t on this album but that’s okay. This was a fantastic listen. Straight-forward power-pop and I dug it. I’m glad I found it. VG+.
Jonathan is back to Thursday-Saturday regular hours, now. He is still doing deliveries Mondays through Wednesday as long as it’s not raining, which over the last few weeks… meh. But, you should watch his Instagram and Facebook pages (Underdog Records’ pages, that is) to see what he’s getting in, has gotten in and taking out! Buy new vinyl day or night at the Underdog Records website. We will get back to a special of the week when things settle down at TLD. I use Discogs to curate my collection and you should too, no matter the format.
Until tomorrow, keep spinnin’…
“Hear that lonesome whippoorwill, he sounds too blue to fly. The midnight train is whining low. I’m so lonesome I could cry.” – “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” (Williams)