Yesterday was the “Dining Area” phase of Beeman Remodel 2019 in advance of Operation: Beeman Hosts 2020. More on that in another blog down the line. But, that meant that we had to get into Underdog Records and get out so we could start working on stuff. So with that said, here’s the haul:
- The Police – Regatta de Blanc — They finally got this in Discogs and I got it a few weeks back, so I’m just now getting it in. I included it in that week’s “haul” list. Just to get that out of the way. New.
- Beck – Hyperspace — We love Beck and every album is righteous. This one took a few steps back to the era of Sea Change, which besides being on the RS list, was a great album. So, Beck is a winner again! New.
- Steps Ahead – N.Y.C. — Jazz Fusion and that’s really all I know about it. I try to step out of what I already know and this was that opportunity. I haven’t listened to it yet, but I look forward to it. It was still sealed but the cellophane was torn a little so I released it into the wild! Just kidding, I unsealed it. Records are meant to be heard, not shown. New/NM/VG+ (for the cover)
- Ray Charles – The Genius Of Ray Charles — #263 on the RS list, it is Charles’ sixth album and was released in 1959. It contains 10 selections from the Great American Songbook (a canon of popular songs and American jazz standards of prominent 20th-century tunes). Good stuff. VG++.
- The Byrds – The Byrds’ Greatest Hits — Their first greatest hits album and the best-selling album from their catalog. A fine collection, indeed. VG+.
- Bread – The Sound Of Bread- Their 16 Finest Songs — K-Tel loved Bread and their “yacht rock” sounds so much, they gave them their own collection. VG+.
- Various – The Many Moods Of Christmas: Great Songs By Great Artists Of Our Time — Christmas record. Ella, Frank, Sammy, Babs, Andy, Tony, Doris, and so on. All you need to know. VG+.
- The New Dixie Zing Kings – The New Dixie Zing Kings — It’s a jazz record, we believe and I can’t find any info about them outside of this album. I don’t know who is part of the ensemble or anything. VG++.
- Ray Conniff And The Ray Conniff Singers – We Wish You A Merry Christmas — It’s Christmas time and we are looking for more to add to The BCPF’s collection. Ray Conniff is known for his Christmas stuff so… VG++.
- The Ray Conniff Singers – Christmas With Conniff — All that stuff in the previous mention… ditto. VG++.
- Bread – Lost Without Your Love — I love yacht rock and this is that, as I mentioned above with the K-Tel entry. VG+.
- Various – Original Cast Album Chicago A Musical Vaudeville — The original cast album from the musical Chicago. It was released in 1975 and featured Dirty Dancing, Beauty and the Beast and Law & Order’s Jerry Orbach as Roxie Hart’s lawyer, Billy Flynn. $1 bin find. VG.
- The Babys – Union Jacks — The fourth album by John Waite, Jonathan Cain, Ricky Philips and crew which had the single “Back on My Feet Again.” $1 bin find. VG+.
- Sonny & Chér – In Case You’re In Love — “Groovy Kind of Love,” “Little Man” and “The Beat Goes On.” $1 bin find. VG.
- Various – A Very Merry Christmas Vol. 5 — Perry Como, Robert Shaw Chorale, Arthur Fiedler, Henry Mancini, Harry Belafonte, Mario Lanza. Yeah, good stuff. $1 bin find. VG.
Jonathan is preparing for Record Store Day – Black Friday Edition that is happening this Friday (of course), so check out recordstoreday.com to see what is coming out. But, he also has a lot of used audio equipment including some high dollar items on consignment for pennies on the dollar. Lexicon, Carver, etc. Turntables, amps, etc. It’s also gift certificate season and at Underdog Records, those come on old 45s. That’s pretty cool. Get it in any amount you like. Listen to each new episode of The Less Desirables for the TLD/UR special of the week. Use Discogs to track your music collection.
Until tomorrow, keep spinning!
“Walked out this morning, don’t believe what I saw. A hundred billion bottles washed up on the shore. Seems I’m not alone at being alone. A hundred billion castaways looking for a home.” – “Message In A Bottle” (Sting)