After a week off, it was back to the routine and that included our return to Underdog Records. My only regret for the trip to Asheville was that I didn’t go to any record stores up there. But, we’re back and here’s what we got!
- Jerry Goldsmith – Chinatown (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) – I love soundtracks. I love Jerry Goldsmith. This was in the clearance bin for $10. Done! New.
- Superchunk – What A Time To Be Alive – The BCPF is a big fan of these folks. I’ve even seen them in concert twice with her. It’s good stuff. New on clear/colored vinyl.
- The Breeders – All Nerve – The Deal twins got the band back together and this is their first release in a number of years. It sounds like they just picked up where they left off. They have a sound and this is it. Orange vinyl. New.
- Soccer Mommy – Clean – When I was making the commercial for Underdog this week, I included a bit of a tune from this album. I thought it was right up The BCPF’s alley and I was right. She liked it a lot! New on clear vinyl.
- Van Morrison – Moondance – #66 on the RS list. I really like this one from Van. He’s sometimes hit or miss with me but this is a hit. VG++.
- Sonic Youth – Dirty – Another favorite of The BCPF. It’s a little heavier than I’m used to with her so it is always odd to hear her play it, but, she enjoys it. VG++.
- Britny Fox – Britny Fox – Some of the hair stuff that I didn’t really listen to when I was younger and into that genre. I didn’t not like it, I just preferred Cinderella. Does that make this one of the evil stepsisters? I don’t know. VG+.
- Queen – A Day At The Races – So, the big Queen show is coming this week. I do research for it. I have wanted to collect all the Queen stuff and this was there used and in what I’d call NM condition, about $10 cheaper than new. No brainer.
- Elvis Presley – From Elvis In Memphis – #190 on the RS list. VG+ original that I can tell. Yes, please!
- Doctor Hook And The Medicine Show – Doctor Hook – One of my favorite Dr. Hook songs is “Sylvia’s Mother.” That is on this album and I’m happy about it. It was a VG+ copy, so yes.
- England Dan & John Ford Coley – Nights Are Forever – In what someone called the “most 70s looking cover,” I had to get this because I love the song “I’d Really Love to See You Tonight.” The whole album was pretty righteous. Sappy 70s sugary pop stuffs but still pretty righteous. NM condition, too.
- Roberta Flack – Killing Me Softly – I have always challenged anyone to find me a singer that delivers with the sexiness of Sade. This comes very close, but not quite there. This is a great album, though. We thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. VG+.
- Various – Jesus Christ Superstar (The Original Motion Picture Sound Track Album) – I have the original Broadway cast recording with Ian Gillan and Murray Head. I have always maintained that I liked the movie version better. Listening to the Broadway version a little more challenges that. So, now I have both and I can A/B them if I want. VG+.
- Daryl Hall & John Oates – Along The Red Ledge – I see no titles that I’m familiar with on the track listing. But, it’s adding to the H&O canon. It was just $2 so I figured what the heck. VG.
- The Hollies – The Very Best Of The Hollies – Funny to Graham Nash that young. VG+.
- Various – Storytellers – VG+. A 2xLP compilation of several 70s tunes from 1979.
- Yes – The Yes Album – Even though it was their third album, I think this is where they came into their own as an original band. The first two, from what I understand was a lot of covers. I have my hits and misses with Yes, but I think the band is great. I haven’t listened to this yet. $1 bin find. VG.
- Firefall – Firefall – I bought this one for $1 for just one song. It turns out the whole album is pretty darned good. VG+.
- Cheap Trick – Cheap Trick At Budokan – What I figure to be an original recording, I got this for $1. #426 on the RS list. It’s VG.
- Various – 20 Power Hits Volume 2 – Another K-Tel comp that I found for $1. This one is from 1973. G+.
- Air Supply – Greatest Hits – I am unashamedly a fan of Air Supply. I had this on cassette and CD (I think) and I have fond memories of my friend Scotty Byrd and I doing this album’s songs, karaoke-style when I lived in WV. $1 bin find. VG.
I told you earlier this week about the albums that Jerry Chapman, yes, that Jerry Chapman had sent me. These are those (thanks, Jerry!!!):
- James Gang – James Gang Rides Again
- Kansas – Masque
- Keel – The Final Frontier
- Scorpions – World Wide Live – 2xLP that is in NM condition. Fantastic.
- Streisand – Guilty
So, it was a great week to be a record collector in our house!
Underdog Records is running a new special for March. Jonathan repriced a lot of the $1 records to $.50. That part isn’t just for March. What is for March is if you pick 5 of those $.50 albums, you’ll get them for $.20 each. So, Five for $1. That’s pretty awesome. Also, make sure you listen to The Less Desirables on Wednesdays for the TLD/UR special of the week. I don’t announce those anywhere else so you could be missing out on stuff.
Also, use Discogs to catalog your collection!
Until tomorrow, same blog channel…
“I can dim the lights and sing you songs full of sad things. We can do the tango just for two. I can serenade and gently play on your heart strings, be your Valentino just for you. Ooh love ooh loverboy. What’re you doin’ tonight, hey boy. Set my alarm, turn on my charm. That’s because I’m a good old-fashioned lover boy.” – “Old Fashioned Lover Boy” (Mercury)