Yesterday was St. Patrick’s Day so of course we had to get our Irish on and went to Finnigan’s Wake instead of Mary’s Gourmet Diner (we did that this morning) but we did get to Underdog Records on time. Here’s what we got:
- Yo La Tengo – There’s A Riot Going On – The BCPF really loves this band, who have been around for a long time and when this Indie-Exclusive Orange Vinyl 2xLP set came out, well she had to have it. And she got it. New.
- Chet Baker – Chet – From what I hear, Chet Baker was a sad story. Mostly drugs, I’d say, but man, this cat was fantastic on the horn. The label said “the lyrical trumpet of Chet Baker” and I think that’s exactly right. His trumpet was like a vocalists’ voice, smooth and dreamy. And, the cover is awesome. He looks like James Dean. New.
- Various – Souled Out – Adding to my K-Tel Collection, this one is all about the “soul.” Found it for $3 in the “just in ‘Used'” bin. VG+.
- Donovan – Cosmic Wheels – A very fun and hilarious listen. Not that it’s all comedy but there are moments. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend listening to the tune, “The Intergalactic Laxative.” You won’t be disappointed. VG.
- Sheena Easton – Sheena Easton – Her debut album. I always liked her voice so why not have it? It was called Take My Time in the UK but just eponymous here in the US. VG++.
- Sheena Easton – A Private Heaven – So, just three years later, this is her sixth album. That’s a lot of output, really. This is also VG++.
- Hank Williams, Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys – Original Sound Track – The Last Picture Show – Yep, the soundtrack for the Peter Bogdanovich featuring the legendary Hank Williams, et al. VG+.
- Kim Carnes – Mistaken Identity – Yes, the “Bette Davis Eyes” album. VG+.
- Bob Marley & The Wailers – Babylon By Bus – A 2xLP live album featuring the Wailers. I still don’t really care for reggae as a whole but, man, I love listening to Bob Marley. This is really, really beaten up and has scratches and gashes throughout. I can’t listen to it often because I don’t want my needle ruined but it was fun to listen through. Fair condition, only. “Curvy,” whose name is scrawled on the labels didn’t take very good care of this. $1 bin find.
- Parliament – Mothership Connection – This. Is. Awesome! #276 on the RS list. I liked it then and I love it even more now. I think I got more out of it this time. I wasn’t trying to plow through the list. I think that was the issue. But, this whole album is phenomenal. A VG $1 bin find. There was a “skip” and it was a perfect skip, right on the beat because I thought they were just doing a repetitious passage and it turns out it was skipping for about two minutes. I didn’t really let it go on that long.
- The New Birth– Comin’ From All Ends – Another New Birth LP. VG $1 bin find.
- Nat King Cole – The Christmas Song – The BCPF’s favorite Christmas album and there it was, in pretty good condition, with a $1 sticker on it. After confirming that we don’t already have it, it was quickly added.
- Nat King Cole / George Shearing – Nat King Cole Sings / George Shearing Plays – The BCPF can’t resist anything with Nat King Cole on it. VG. $1 bin find.
- Billie Holiday – Billie Holiday – We’re fans of women jazz vocalists and try to collect what we can. The BCPF loves Ella. I love Etta. We both dig Billie. Good condition. $1 bin find.
- Stevie Wonder – In Square Circle – The first Stevie I ever owned and it was on cassette. It was in the $1 bin yesterday and in pretty good shape, so yep!
- Roberta Flack And Peabo Bryson – Live & More – More Roberta Flack and this time with Peabo Bryson. I can’t not say “why you trippin’ Peabo?!” every time I read his name. $1 bin find. VG.
Record store day is coming, April 21. Visit the RSD website for more information. There are no holds, no pre-orders, no prepays, and there will be a line early (some people even camp out overnight) but it’s fun and there’s a lot of unique things coming out. Underdog is ready and will have all but like four things. But, supplies are limited, when he’s out, he’s out. Everything is limited edition, too. Check out The Less Desirables to hear what this week’s TLD/UR special is. And use Discogs to catalog your collection!
Until tomorrow, same blog channel…
“Oh, the intergalactic laxative will get you from here to there. Relieve you and believe me, without a worry or care. If sh*tting is your problem when you’re out there in the stars, oh, the intergalactic laxative will get you from here to Mars.” – “The Intergalactic Laxative” (Leitch)