Yesterday was misty and cold. A near perfect day if you ask me. Why? Because I was with my best girl and I had records. I love records. And, The BCPF and I love us some Underdog Records. We got to see several of our friends whilst there and that’s always a plus. So, here’s the haul:
- Belle & Sebastian – How To Solve Our Human Problems – Belle & Sabastian’s 3xEP that was released one every month has come out in a box set. We traded in the old and got the box. Call us crazy. New.
- Queen – Queen – The debut album from one of the most prolific bands in rock history. I’ll be doing the choir part in the opening track from this when the Ramkat opens next month, along with quite a few other songs. This was mostly overlooked for, as someone said yesterday, its lack of “hits.” I agree. It’s not what we’d come to know and love from Queen but it certainly had some glimpses of it. Someone named Dave Doolittle wrote his name on the front cover and that irks me, but the record is in really, really great shape. VG+.
- U2 – The Unforgettable Fire – The BCPF’s first U2 album when she was but a youngster. We saw it come across the Instagram feed whilst eating breakfast. We got in the door and I went straight for it, to secure it for our collection. VG+
- Love And Rockets – Earth • Sun • Moon – The BCPF also loves Love and Rockets and she even yelled at me (whilst I was in the bathroom, mind you), I LOVE THIS RECORD! I was in Underdog on Friday when he bought this. VG+.
- Joni Mitchell – Ladies Of The Canyon – A VG+ copy of a classic. It has “Big Yellow Taxi,” “Woodstock” and “The Circle Game” on it. Great album.
- Willie Nelson – Stardust – The lone RS list pickup for this week. It was there waiting for me to grab. VG+. Oh, and it’s #260 on the list. Right in the middle.
- Pretenders – Pretenders II – The BCPF loves the Pretenders, too. So, this was there, we had to have it. It is VG+.
- Dire Straits – Dire Straits – The debut album but now-Hall-of-Famers, Dire Straits. I’ve really loved listening to them lately. This is a VG+ version.
- Various – Cocktail Piano Time, Music In An Intimate Mood – I love cocktail piano music. I couldn’t pass up this 5xLP box set. All of it in VG+ condition, too.
- Ferrante & Teicher – Holiday For Pianos – I really don’t know what this is, but it was in the $1 bin. I went to wash it and it was in NM condition. Even the cover was immaculate. So, we have it.
- Barbra Streisand, Sydney Chaplin – Funny Girl (Original Broadway Cast) – VG $1 bin find. I have “Funny Lady,” why not have both?
- Siobhan McKenna – Irish Ballads Folk Songs And Lyrics Read By Siobhan McKenna – Again, no clue, we love international music and with a name like Siobhan McKenna, it’s gotta be good! A “G” $1 bin find.
- Cliff Richard – Every Face Tells A Story – UK’s 60s/70s heartthrob, and it was a VG $1 bin find.
- Randy Meisner – One More Song – The former bass player for The Eagles, he had some pretty big songs with them. This is a VG+ $1 bin find.
- Neil Diamond – Serenade – I’m always amazed when I find Neil Diamond albums that I’ve never heard of, or have. I haven’t really taken the time to look at his discography, but it must be vast. $1 bin find.
- Various – FM (The Original Movie Soundtrack) – I loved the film and the soundtrack is just chock full of great tunes. A VG $1 bin find.
- The Alan Parsons Project – I Robot – Because I have a new-found obsession with the Alan Parsons Project, I had to grab this when The BCPF came across it. And it was only $1. Best I can tell is that it is at least VG.
- Daryl Hall & John Oates – Voices – A very good album, this. It has some hits on it and some throw-aways. It was enjoyable and it was only $1 and in VG+ condition. Why do almost all H&O albums have the slits in the top of the album jackets and not on the side? Weird.
- Kingston Trio – The Kingston Trio No. 16 – As with Neil Diamond for me, The BCPF is on a constant search for a Kingston Trio album we don’t already have. Well, this $1 bin find was one of those. Best I can tell, it was VG.
There’s this week’s haul. We enjoyed listening to what we got to hear yesterday (not all of these, for sure). Again, we’ve become like a family there at Underdog Records. When we see each other, we smile and talk and catch up and it’s like we’re all part of a clan or something. I really love it. I’m there several times a week, usually, and someone’s always coming through. It’s so much fun to collect and listen. It’s so much better when you’re part of that community. We’re welcoming, too. Come in and see us!
As you can tell, I use Discogs to document my collection and I have another K-Tel record coming this week that I purchased from the Discogs Marketplace. Check it out. I can watch my friends’ collection, as well. Again, it’s just fun.
Until tomorrow, happy spinning…
“You cannot go against nature because when you do go against nature, it’s part of nature too. Our little lives get complicated. It’s a simple thing. Simple as a flower. And, that’s a complicated thing. No new tale to tell.” – “No New Tale to Tell” (Ash/Jay/Haskins)