Yesterday was kind of rushed for The BCPF and me. I have new studio stuff and things aren’t going right with it so I was expecting a call from Sweetwater (which never happened). We ran to Underdog Records, grabbed lunch at BLL Rotisserie Factory, and came home to a big “nothing burger.” But, we got some listening in. Here’s the haul:
- Fiona Apple – Fetch The Bolt Cutters — Fiona’s new album and the first one I bought from her since When the Pawn… (and yeah, I used the short form because otherwise, it would have been a shload of words used that you wouldn’t have wanted to read and it was ridiculous that she named an album thatlongofatitleanywayand…) sorry about that… She’s still her very talented and very weird self. I liked listening to this. I was pleased. New.
- Maroon 5 – Songs About Jane — I remember when this album came out. Well, at least a few months after. The band that I was in was going to cover “Harder to Breathe” but we didn’t. I know Adam Levine gets touted as a “pretty boy” (because he is) and people think because he’s on a talent show he’s cheese. I don’t think so. Maroon 5 is a good band. They write good songs and Adam is a great singer. I loved this album then. I love this album now. Get over it. New.
- Rolling Blackouts C.F. – Sideways To New Italy — The band’s full name is Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever. I don’t know why they only abbreviate part of it? Oh well. This is right up The BCPF’s alley. Jonathan was playing it in the store and I asked about it. I heard two words and that was all the convincing I needed to pick it up: “Sub Pop.” My wife jumps at anything from that label. Them and Merge. It’s very much her and we enjoyed listening to it. New.
- Cat Power – You Are Free — The BCPF jumps at all things Cat Power, which incidentally is the stage name and eponymous band name of Chan Marshall, which is also a nickname for Charlyn Marshall. I guess one alias wasn’t enough. And an alias for your alias is even better. I dunno. The album features guest appearances by Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, and Warren Ellis of the Dirty Three. It’s typical Cat Power and it’s pretty awesome. New.
- Giacomo Puccini – Manon Lescaut — I want to get more opera in my collection. Puccini is great, so we can expand this way. In the used section but still sealed. It’s also a cut-out but still sealed. 3xLP. New?
- Rachmaninoff – Great Men Of Music — I love these Great Men of Music collections. I have the Verdi one that I talked about a few weeks back and now this one. Sundays are our classical days. Yay us! Where The BCPF is more orchestral, I’m more piano, although I think Sergei did both, so I’m pretty sure we’ll dig it. Also “used” but still sealed. So I’m going with new. 4xLP.
- Bandola – ‘Til Tuesday EP — All either The BCPF or I know about this is that my friend Mitch Easter played on this and produced all but one of the tracks. It’s power-pop and Mitch is on it, circa 1992. Bingo! VG+.
Underdog Records is open Thursday through Saturday, 11a-7p. Jonathan said he is still doing deliveries but it seems the demand isn’t too high for that right now. Do you follow Underdog Records on Instagram and Facebook? You see something he posts that you like? Contact him and you can pay virtually and he can deliver or you can do curbside on off-days or come by the store during store hours. You can shop for new vinyl, anytime, day or night by visiting the website. Tell him that I sent you!! Also, I use Discogs to track my collection and it has a really cool “shuffle” feature when you can’t figure what you’re in the mood for.
Until tomorrow, keep spinnin’…
“Tap on my window, knock on my door, I want to make you feel beautiful. I know I tend to get so insecure. It doesn’t matter anymore. It’s not always rainbows and butterflies. It’s compromise that moves us along yeah. My heart is full, and my door’s always open. You can come anytime you want yeah.” – “She Will Be Loved” (Levine/Valentine)