Yesterday was Mary Haglund’s birthday, so of course, we were there to celebrate with her at Mary’s Gourmet Diner. Then we went by Underdog Records and grabbed a few LPs. Not a big haul this week. Here’s it is:
- Peter Gabriel – Plays Live — I got this on Tuesday from Underdog Records but waited to mention it until today. This is a great live album from 1983, recorded on tour in 1982 for the Peter Gabriel (Security) album. There were some overdubs done but most of the stuff was live. I really enjoyed listening to it. VG+.
- Daryl Hall & John Oates – Abandoned Luncheonette — The second studio album from H&O and it’s a beauty. There are some really fantastic tunes on here, including “She’s Gone,” the title track, “When the Morning Comes,” “Laughing Boy” (which happens to be my favorite track on the album after “She’s Gone”). Love the cover, as well. VG+.
- Go-Go’s – Vacation — The title track is the best song on the album but the whole thing was a fun listen. I am glad we have it. VG+.
- Electric Light Orchestra – Olé ELO — This is a compilation album from ELO and it has a lot of early songs on it and some of it I’m not a fan of. Nothing is wrong with it, just not my favorite songs. However, there are some of my favorite ELO tunes, too. “Can’t Get It Out of My Head,” “Evil Woman” and “Strange Magic” are some of my overall faves from the band. VG+.
- Commodores – Nightshift — It’s not classic Commodores, by any means but it does feed my synth-pop early 80s R&B. I had this album on cassette back when it came out because I forgot to send in my card to not get the “selection of the month” from RCA Music Club (before it was BMG Music Club). Granted the only tunes that I really care about on here is the title track, “Woman in My Life” and “Animal Instinct.” VG+.
So, that was the short haul. As I’ve mentioned now, twice this week, Underdog Records is now THE Official Music Sponsor of The Less Desirables. There are some cassettes and CDs in Underdog but, of course, the focus is on vinyl. And, we will talk about a lot of music stuff that isn’t just vinyl, either. But, Jonathan is always getting fresh used inventory and restock throughout the week. You should follow their social media to find out what and when. And, you should listen to The Less Desirables to find out what the weekly TLD/Underdog special is.
I never shop without my Discogs app open on my phone to make sure I’m not getting duplicates and it’s great for my “random selection” picks, as well.
Until tomorrow, same blog channel…
“When you looked at me I should’ve run. But I thought it was just for fun. I see I was wrong and I’m not so strong. I should’ve known all along that time would tell. A week without you. Thought I’d forget. Two weeks without you and I still haven’t gotten over you yet. Vacation, all I ever wanted. Vacation, had to get away. Vacation, meant to be spent alone.” – “Vacation” (Valentine/Caffey/Wiedlin)