A beautiful day yesterday and the day before. We actually went out walking Saturday morning, trying to rekindle the spark of The Man Who Walked the Town journeys and blog, perhaps with the actual videos that we set out to do in the first place. We’ll see.
Anywhat! We went on to Mary’s Gourmet Diner and had dinner at Willows Bistro, per our usual routine and that also means we made our weekly trek to Underdog Records, as well. The haul was pretty small but it was still fun! Here’s what we got:
- Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour – She’s been to WSNC before because she’s been to Bull’s Tavern and from what Danielle Bull says, she enjoyed it. This is country-ish but really in the way of a Taylor Swift, without the cutesiness. She’s cute, yes, but even though she’s fairly young (29), she writes mature but clever tunes. She has a great voice, too. Side One was great, Side Two was amazing! New.
- The Clientele – Music For The Age Of Miracles – The BCPF always asks Jonathan if this is David J and he always tells her it’s The Clientele. She always says I’ll have to get that one day. Well, yesterday was that day. It sounds like David J. New.
- Double – Blue – This one sparked a pretty cool conversation on Facebook yesterday. “I always thought it was pronounced double.” From Jonathan to the folk on FB, I am always happy to inform. I like it. It’s actually French and is pronounced (doo-‘blay). The duo is from Switzerland. There was also the question as to whether the second, smaller “u” was silent but the title of the album is “Blue” so it’s just them being clever. The hit on this album was “Captain of Her Heart.” I loved it and I think this whole album reflected that sound. Still sealed until I opened it yesterday. It was slightly warped from being sealed since 1985 but it played great. NM-/VG++ (taking the warp into account).
- Della Reese – Della At Basin Street East – Della Reese, who we lost just this past November, was a great entertainer and had a fantastic voice. This was in VG+ shape and is the mono version. Sounds great!
- Various – Musical Tour Around The World…And Beyond! – Just a bit of “popular music” from around the world in a 2xLP set. VG.
- Various – The Life Treasury Of Christmas Music – The BCPF is an obsessor over Christmas albums/music. So it was there in the $1 and she grabbed it. It’s actually in really good, VG+ shape.
- Peter, Paul And Mary – See What Tomorrow Brings – Another in the PP&M collection. The BCPF found it in the $1 bin. G+ and the outer sleeve is in dire shape.
That’s it. The haul, as I said, was short but we got some good stuff in there. Right after we left Underdog, Jonathan added a used turntable to his inventory. He buys and sells used turntables constantly so if you’re in the market for a turntable but don’t want to go out and buy something brand new, try his inventory, he always has good stuff there. Same with records, he’s adding to the used inventory every day that he’s open. And records are fun!
I also use Discogs to keep up with what albums are in my vinyl collection. You get over 1400 and are still buying you want to make sure you don’t double (that is duh-bull) up on stuff. Discogs helps you with that and there’s a really cool marketplace over there, too. Check it out.
Until tomorrow, same blog channel…
“I don’t really care ’bout the Mona Lisa. I need a Graceland kind of man who’s always on my mind. I wanna show you off every evening, go out with you in powder blue and tease my hair up high. You’re my velvet Elvis, I ain’t never gonna take you down. Making everybody jealous when they step into my house. Soft to the touch. Feels like love, knew it as soon as I felt it. You’re my velvet Elvis, baby” – “Velvet Elvis” (Musgraves/Hemby/Dick)